We don’t have a lot of soup days in Florida. While we are fortunate that it never gets that cold, sometimes we still wish we had a reason to sip a warm cup of soup. Last week my husband and I were trying to figure out a few things to mix up on our weekly menu selection when Chicken Tortilla Soup came up. It was funny to find that this was somewhat of a staple that we both grew up with.
Growing up in the midwest, Chicken Tortilla Soup was something that my husband’s mother would make a huge batch of. He said they would keep a giant container of it in the fridge to warm up whenever they wanted. We also had Tortilla Soup in the fridge a lot, but for an entire different reason. Chicken Tortilla Soup was and still is the soup of the day at my mother’s restaurant on Saturdays. It is a good thing it is one of our favorites because we always had plenty to bring home.
My version of Chicken Tortilla Soup has a little bit healthier spin on it. I have simply decreased the sodium without sacrificing any of the amazing flavor. I love my mother’s recipe but I literally retained 10 extra pounds of water one Saturday after eating four cups of her soup.
This soup is perfect for lunch or dinner on a blustery day. We like to pair ours with a variety of tortilla chips and a sprinkle of reduced fat Mexican blend cheese. This recipe can also be doubled so that you can freeze it for leftovers. It makes a great easy dinner to have on hand if you don’t manage to eat it all in one serving. Guilty!
This recipe freezes great so be sure to double batch this amazing recipe for a quick meal during the week.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2cups uncooked onion, chopped
- 1 1/2tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 cup(s reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup Reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese (about 6 Tbsp)
- Organic tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add onion and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and ancho chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken breasts, and lime juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 20 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove breasts from soup and use 2 forks to shred. Return chicken to pot with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Brunch and Biceps